VENUS on the HALF-SHELL by Philip José Farmer


Originally published in 1975 under the psuedonym Kilgore Trout. 

I read the 2013 edition published by Titan Books.

While suffering a bit of writer's block, Philip José Farmer (1918-2009) was inspired to write a book as Kilgore Trout. If you are not familiar with Trout, he is a fictional science fiction author in several of Kurt Vonnegut's (1922-2007) books.

Vonnegut often changes the details about Trout's life but one constant is that Trout is a prolific, but not well-known author because his books are often published by publishers of pornographic novels because he can't ever seem to make a breakthrough with mainstream publishing houses. The porn publisher put racy covers on Trout's books and then sell them with the rest of their books in porn shops.

A popular assumption is that Vonnegut meant Kilgore Trout to be a stand-in for himself and his early struggles to get published and make a breakthrough as a mainstream author. By using Trout in his books, Vonnegut was putting a rather pathetic version of himself in his own books.

Farmer took that little bit of information and wrote Venus on the Half-Shell. At the beginning of the edition that I read, Farmer explains that he sought permission from Vonnegut to write a novel in the voice of Kilgore Trout and received a rather vague permission to do so. Farmer proceeded on a "better to ask forgiveness than really clarify that you had permission" basis and Vonnegut got pretty irritated about the whole thing when the novel first appeared.

I really like Vonnegut, but he really only had himself to blame for this. This is why you hire lawyers, even among sci-fi colleagues.

*******

The original cover 
Way back when when I was in high school, I stumbled upon a copy of this book and bought it because a) I read everything sci-fi that I could get my hands on and b) it sounded racy. I mean - look at the cover - it looks racy!!! 

The cover is perfect, by the way, for a Kilgore Trout novel. Doesn't it look like a sci-fi book that a porn publisher would publish?

I remember my friends and cousins and I passing this book around, eagerly reading it (and in my case, re-reading it two or three times.) I might have all of those details wrong, though. It was more than 40 years ago.

I have been systematically reading my way through every Kurt Vonnegut book and I decided that a re-read of Venus on the Half-Shell was in order since it is a) sort of a Vonnegut book and b) the first Vonnegut-related book of any sort that I actually read. 

So, how was it? I remember loving it when I was a kid. Was it everything that I remembered? 

It was decent, but not great. I remembered that it was very racy. It was racy at times, but not in any great detail. I think my teenaged mind  I am glad I re-read it, but I'm not planning on doing it again. 

I rate this novel 3 stars out of 5. It can be found on Amazon.com here: Venus on the Half-Shell by Philip José Farmer.

Note: Douglas Adams' much better known novel Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy shares several plot points with this novel. I have no idea if that was intentional or an accident. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

BAN THIS BOOK (audiobook) by Alan Gratz

Published in 2017 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. Read by Bahni Turpin. Duration: 5 hours, 17 minutes. Unabridged. My Synopsis Ban This Book is t...

Popular posts over the last 7 days