THE BAT-MAN: FIRST KNIGHT by Dan Jurgens (Author), Mike Perkins (Artist)







Published in 2024 by DC Comics.

Synopsis.

The Bat-Man: First Knight is an alternative Batman story set in 1939. Gotham City is struggling - a lot of people are on the street due to The Great Depression, Nazi sympathizers are on the move, a crime wave is sweeping over the city, and someone is mudering the top city officials. 

Rumors of a crime-fighting vigilante are spreading across the city. He hides in the shadows and wears a costume that looks like a bat. Of course, it's our old friend - The Bat-Man with a slightly different take.

My Review

I really enjoyed this graphic novel. I found it at the library and checked it out on a whim. I almost didn't read it because I had just read Spider-Man Noir and I did not enjoy it. I figured if a Spider-Man comic can be too dark to enjoy, a Batman comic is naturally going to go darker and be even less enjoyable.

But, I gave it a chance and it turns out that it was a great read all the way around. The art is easy to follow, the story is coherent and it doesn't require any sort of special Batman knowledge.

There is one scene that's way over the top, but just that one scene. The rest of it makes sense, in a Batman sort of way. It's a good story and I was pleased to see that they released a second book in this series last year. 

I rate this graphic novel 5 stars out of 5. It can be found on Amazon.com here: The Bat-Man: First Knight.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

BAN THIS BOOK (audiobook) by Alan Gratz

Published in 2017 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. Read by Bahni Turpin. Duration: 5 hours, 17 minutes. Unabridged. My Synopsis Ban This Book is t...

Popular posts over the last 7 days