More than 2100 reviews over the last 25 years.
Life in the Big City (Astro City, Vol. 1) by Kurt Busiek
It was okay
Originally published in 1999 by Wildstorm.
Let me start with this: I am not a big comics fanatic. I read some of these bigger collections from time to time for entertainment, but I've never been to a comic book shop, I don't own a Green Lantern shirt and there's no Superman sticker on my car.
But, I do know what I like and, for me, Astro City was an "okay" collection of new superheroes. This collections includes 5 stories, 2 of which I found tedious. In the intro, Busiek claims to want to get back to basics and stop the "deconstruction" of the superhero. Get out of the superhero's head and back to the action. But, the first and last stories are all about getting into the superhero's head. They were interesting stories, but they went against the spirit Busiek claimed to have been wanting to avoid.
In short, kudos to Busiek for creating a whole new world of superheroes, but this still didn't grab me enough to make me look for further adventures of these new superheroes.
I rate this graphic novel 3 stars out of 5.
This graphic novel can be found on Amazon.com here: Life in the Big City (Astro City, Volume 1).
Reviewed on September 26, 2008.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Featured Post
BAN THIS BOOK (audiobook) by Alan Gratz
Published in 2017 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. Read by Bahni Turpin. Duration: 5 hours, 17 minutes. Unabridged. My Synopsis Ban This Book is t...
Popular posts over the last 7 days
-
Originally published in 1975 under the psuedonym Kilgore Trout. I read the 2013 edition published by Titan Books. While suffering a bit of ...
-
Published by Random House Audio in 2002. Read by Judy Kaye. Duration: 12 hours, 38 minutes. Unabridged. I have bounced through the Kinsey Mi...
-
An excellent beginning to a promising career. Originally published in 1997. First off - The Black Flower is one of the best books I've...
-
Published in 2024 by HarperAudio. Performed by January LaVoy. Duration: 10 hours, 13 minutes. Unabridged. Synopsis Troy, Georgia is, on the ...
-
Published by Dell in 2012. Originally published in in 2007 by Delacorte Press I must live under a rock. I had not read any Jack Reacher n...
-
Published by Simon and Schuster Audio in 2006 Read by Ron McClarty Duration: 1 hour, 30 minutes I am not sure who the person was at Simon...
-
Published in 2014 by Simon and Schuster Audio Multicast performance, mostly read by the author, Cary Elwes Duration: 7 hours, 1 minute Una...
-
Published by Marvel Universe in 2021. Hawkeye: The Saga of Barton and Bishop is actually two collections in one. The first half of the coll...
-
Published by Bloomsbury Publishing LLC. Read by Tosca Hoskins. Duration: 11 hours, 26 minutes. Unabridged. The book is a detailed look at ...
-
Published in 2020 by Seven Stories Press. Edited by Dan Wakefield. Introduction by Dan Wakefield. Many of the well-known quotes from Kurt ...

No comments:
Post a Comment