"We are of opinion that instead of letting books grow moldy behind an iron grating, far from the vulgar gaze, it is better to let them wear out by being read." - Jules Verne
Fifteen years reviewing books, audiobooks, graphic novels, movies and music!

Visit DWD's Reviews of Books, Audiobooks, Music and Video new sister blog: DWD's Reviews of Tech, Gadgets and Gizmos!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Judge (audiobook) by Steve Martini



Strong plot + annoying writing habits = 4 stars

Steve Martini

The Judge
is my second Martini book (the first as an audiobook) and I am almost embarrassed to say that I really liked it. I didn't realize that I was such a literary elitist (especially if you looked at the stuff I've reviewed) but deep-down inside I guess that there are just some books that I want to hate simply because everyone else likes them.


Well, there's a reason why Martini's books have been perennial best-sellers - they're entertaining legal thrillers.

Plot synopsis:

Shenanigans in the police union have attracted the attention of an abrasive judge. He is leading a grand jury investigation into the union's finances when he is arrested for prostitution and later murder.

Paul Madriani is dragged into the case as the judge's defense attorney as a favor to a friend and soon everyone is stuck in a web of intrigue that involves the police, the prosecutor and Madriani's family.

The plot works well but Madriani overuses the 'simile' as a literary device. As I listened to this book on tape I started to become distracted by the sheer number of them. If I'd have had a notepad I would have started a tally sheet!

I rate this audiobook 4 stars out of 5.

This book can be found on Amazon.com here: The Judge by Steve Martini.

Reviewed on March 6, 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment