AMERICAN REBOOT: AN IDEALIST'S GUIDE TO GETTING BIG THINGS DONE (audiobook) by Will Hurd

 







Published in March of 2022 by Simon and Schuster Audio.
Read by the author, Will Hurd.
Duration: 8 hours, 47 minutes.
Unabridged.


Will Hurd has done a lot of things in his 45 years. He has been an operations analyst for the CIA (working in Pakistan, India, and Afghanistan), he was worked in high-tech (including cyber-security and artificial intelligence), has served 6 years as a member of the House of Representatives from Texas, and is now a Republican candidate for President in 2024.

This book was undoubtedly an attempt to introduce Will Hurd to a larger audience. I follow politics pretty well and I had never heard of Will Hurd until he announced his campaign for President in June of 2023 (to be fair, there are 535 members of Congress and most are not well known outside of their districts.) I heard about this book in a political podcast and, lo and behold, it turns out that my library had it.

Just to let you know where I am coming from as I review this book, I am a Never Trump Republican and have been since 2015. I am anti-MAGA. Hurd got my attention because he says a lot of the same things.

That being said, his audiobook was a mixed bag for me. It has real moments of clarity and inspiration but it also has sections that are kind of boring (discussions of old political fights and debates, for example.) I am going to end up giving the book 3 stars our of 5 because it was not a bad listen, but also not an amazing listen.

What it all comes down to is this - while this is not the most exciting book, listening to him speak about a wide variety of topics for almost 9 hours did help me decide to look into Will Hurd more seriously (
The author. I freely admit that I 
stole this picture from
 his campaign website.
here is his campaign website
) and at this time he is my choice in the GOP primary. What does that mean? Probably nothing - I was a Ted Cruz man in 2015 and I've been nothing but disappointed in him since 2016. But, it's good to know that I have an option in the Republican Party after feeling 100% left out since the summer of 2016.

The book demonstrated that you can have Conservative principles and not be MAGA in today's GOP. You can argue and not be unpleasant and demeaning. You can argue and learn new things and change your mind. You can have friends in the other party because they're not evil - they just see the world differently than you. Also, you don't have to participate in the culture wars to win. 

Comments

Popular posts over the last 30 days

THE BALLOT and the BIBLE: HOW SCRIPTURE HAS BEEN USED and ABUSED in AMERICAN POLITICS and WHERE WE GO from HERE (audiobook) by Kaitlyn Schiess

ILLEGAL (graphic novel) Written by Eoin Colfer and Andrew Donkin. Illustrated by Giovanni Rigano.

BENITO MUSSOLINI: A LIFE from BEGINNING to END (World War 2 Biographies) (kindle) by Hourly History

THE BREAKER (Peter Ash #6)(audiobook) by Nick Petrie

THE PRINCESS, the SCOUNDREL, and the FARM BOY by Alexandra Bracken

RESOLUTION (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch #2) (audiobook) by Robert B. Parker

Appaloosa DVD

BLOOD MONEY: A LUCKY DEY THRILLER (audiobook) by Doug Richardson

WHAT CAUSED the CIVIL WAR: REFLECTIONS on the SOUTH and SOUTHERN HISTORY by Edward L. Ayers

The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Presidents from Wilson to Obama (P.I.G. Series) by Steven F. Hayward