WALKING ACROSS EGYPT by Clyde Edgerton

 








Originally published in 1987.

Mattie Rigsbee is a 78 year old widow whose primary activities are cooking great meals, mowing the yard and going to church on Sundays.

Lately, she has been pondering Matthew 25:40-45 and Jesus' command to help "the least of these".

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you? 45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

The author, Clyde Edgerton
A stray dog leads her to call the dogcatcher. She discovers that the dogcatcher has a nephew in the county juvenile detention center and she decides to visit him because he is one of the "least of these" and bring along some of her home cooking. 

And that's where the fun starts...

*****

I had never heard of this book or this author before. I literally picked this book up from a pile of books on a cart full of books about to be discarded by a high school. I had no expectations. I was surprised at how readable and funny the book was. Very enjoyable.

I rate this book 4 stars out of 5. It can be found on Amazon.com here: Walking Across Egypt by Clyde Edgerton.

Comments

Popular posts over the last 30 days

THE BALLOT and the BIBLE: HOW SCRIPTURE HAS BEEN USED and ABUSED in AMERICAN POLITICS and WHERE WE GO from HERE (audiobook) by Kaitlyn Schiess

PRINCESS DIANA: A LIFE from BEGINNING to END(BIOGRAPHIES of BRITISH ROYALTY) (kindle) by Hourly History

LIFE AFTER POWER: SEVEN PRESIDENTS and THEIR SEARCH for PURPOSE BEYOND the WHITE HOUSE (audiobook) by Jared Cohen

THE BREAKER (Peter Ash #6)(audiobook) by Nick Petrie

WONDER CITY (graphic novel) Written by Victor Fusté. Illustrated by Jared Cullum

IT'S SUPERMAN (audiobook) by Tom De Haven

THE PRINCESS, the SCOUNDREL, and the FARM BOY by Alexandra Bracken

BLOOD MONEY: A LUCKY DEY THRILLER (audiobook) by Doug Richardson

WHAT CAUSED the CIVIL WAR: REFLECTIONS on the SOUTH and SOUTHERN HISTORY by Edward L. Ayers

HERODOTUS: ON the WAR for GREEK FREEDOM. Translated by Samuel Shirley and James Romm. Edited by James Romm.