BLIND JUSTICE (Blake Justice Series Book 1)(kindle) by Mark Anthony Taylor


Published by Mount Shasta
Publishing (2nd edition) in 2021.
Blake Justice is a detective in the Avon Police Department. Avon is a suburb on the west side of Indianapolis. 

Blake is a massive physical specimen of muscle and no-nonsense serious intentions. He always wears his bullet-proof vest (even in church) and never goes anywhere without two pistols (once again, even in church). 

Detective Justice is hunting down a group of thieves that are robbing local businesses. He is also on the lookout for a big-time drug dealer who is said to be moving operations into Avon. Meanwhile, Detective Justice has a new partner...

*********

I bought this book because I saw an ad on Facebook. I live very close to Avon and am in Avon quite often and I am very familiar with the town and when I saw that the book was set in Avon I spent 99 cents and bought it. You can't go wrong at that price, can you?

Turns out that you can go wrong with this book no matter the price.

Some of the problems:

1) I was more than 10% of the way into this book before I decided that it was probably not a parody book. The problem is, the book feels like it is trying to be serious, but everything about the book screams parody.

2) No matter what connections bad guys have, they are not released from custody with no consequences if they fire pistols at police officers during a police chase and leave bullet holes all over the interior of the car.

3) Avon is a town of 18,000 residents. The geographic area that the author describes includes most of the western half of Indianapolis, a city of nearly 1,000,000. I'm okay with exaggerating, but this is ridiculous. 

4) Blake Justice has a personal armory in the trunk of his car, including multiple Kevlar vests, multiple pistols and hand grenades! I am talking real hand grenades, not the flash-bang ones. And, he has them in the trunk because he actually intends to use them as a police officer. You can see why I wasn't sure if it was a parody or not.
A Desert Eagle

5) Blake Justice's partner keeps calling the pistols that Justice keeps in the trunk of his car Dessert Eagles. They are actually Desert Eagles - one of the world's heaviest and most powerful handguns. I can't tell if it was a failed attempt at humor or a series of typos.

*********

The action scenes were well-written and the final fight scene is pretty good, but everything else is over the top and a parody, even if it wasn't intended to be.

I rate this e-book 2 stars out of 5. It can be found on Amazon.com here: BLIND JUSTICE (Blake Justice Series Book 1) by Mark Anthony Taylor.




Comments

  1. Thanks a lot for picking up my book! It indeed started as full parody, and I changed the tone as I wrote it. Though I went back to tone down earlier sections, it definitely feels uneven at times. Typos with the guns…shoot me with a dessert eagle! And I grew up in Clermont, so I took literary license with the “small town of Avon.” Haha I’ll be putting out the sequel within the year so I hope you give me another shot. Thanks again! -Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reply to my review.

      My two cents - I think you should have gone for the full parody. Maybe have Detective Justice think he solved the mystery but it was actually all wrapped up by one of the more normal characters - like if Justice's girlfriend and his mom figured it all out and he just stumbled into it because he was forced to rescue them.

      Good luck!

      DWD

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts over the last 30 days

THE BALLOT and the BIBLE: HOW SCRIPTURE HAS BEEN USED and ABUSED in AMERICAN POLITICS and WHERE WE GO from HERE (audiobook) by Kaitlyn Schiess

BENITO MUSSOLINI: A LIFE from BEGINNING to END (World War 2 Biographies) (kindle) by Hourly History

PRINCESS DIANA: A LIFE from BEGINNING to END(BIOGRAPHIES of BRITISH ROYALTY) (kindle) by Hourly History

WONDER CITY (graphic novel) Written by Victor Fusté. Illustrated by Jared Cullum

THE BREAKER (Peter Ash #6)(audiobook) by Nick Petrie

LIFE AFTER POWER: SEVEN PRESIDENTS and THEIR SEARCH for PURPOSE BEYOND the WHITE HOUSE (audiobook) by Jared Cohen

RESOLUTION (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch #2) (audiobook) by Robert B. Parker

THE PRINCESS, the SCOUNDREL, and the FARM BOY by Alexandra Bracken

IT'S SUPERMAN (audiobook) by Tom De Haven

BLOOD MONEY: A LUCKY DEY THRILLER (audiobook) by Doug Richardson