THE BRIDGE of SAN LUIS REY by Thornton Wilder

 



Originally published in 1927.
Winner of the 1928 Pulitzer Prize.


This book has been on my To-Be-Read list since I was in high school. One of my English teachers back in high school used to talk about this book quite a lot and I finally got around to reading it.

Synopsis:

The setting is Peru, back when Spain held it as a colony. Outside of Lima in the Andes Mountains there is a magnificent rope bridge for pedestrians. Baggage and animals take a long trail they take down to the river below and they cross a traditional bridge that takes a lot longer. One day the rope bridge breaks and several people fall to their deaths. 

A monk is approaching the rope bridge and sees it break and everyone fall to their deaths. He decides to investigate the lives of each person who fell. He wants to see if there is something in common - perhaps they were all adulterers or thieves or the like?

What follows are elaborate character sketches for each of the victims all ending with them walking across the bridge.

My review:

These character sketches are tedious to read. This is not a long book (123 pages), but I felt like about half of it could've been edited away and it would have only made the book better. I know that is a sign of age - the book is 93 years old and I am not the generation the book was written for. I nearly didn't finish it.  I hate to break it to my English teacher but I didn't find the book very memorable.

I rate this book 2 stars out of 5. It can be found on Amazon.com here: THE BRIDGE of SAN LUIS REY by Thornton Wilder.

Comments

Popular posts over the last 30 days

THE BALLOT and the BIBLE: HOW SCRIPTURE HAS BEEN USED and ABUSED in AMERICAN POLITICS and WHERE WE GO from HERE (audiobook) by Kaitlyn Schiess

ILLEGAL (graphic novel) Written by Eoin Colfer and Andrew Donkin. Illustrated by Giovanni Rigano.

BENITO MUSSOLINI: A LIFE from BEGINNING to END (World War 2 Biographies) (kindle) by Hourly History

THE BREAKER (Peter Ash #6)(audiobook) by Nick Petrie

RESOLUTION (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch #2) (audiobook) by Robert B. Parker

Appaloosa DVD

BLOOD MONEY: A LUCKY DEY THRILLER (audiobook) by Doug Richardson

LION of BABYLON (Marc Royce #1) (audiobook) by Davis Bunn

FRANCISCO FRANCO: A LIFE from BEGINNING to END (kindle) by Hourly History

THE PRINCESS, the SCOUNDREL, and the FARM BOY by Alexandra Bracken