MY VANISHING COUNTRY: A MEMOIR (audiobook) by Bakari Sellers

 



Published in 2020 by HarperAudio.
Read by the author, Bakari Sellers
Duration: 5 hours, 9 minutes.
Unabridged


I came to this book not knowing a thing about Bakari Sellers. I don't know where I heard about his book, but I had placed a hold on the audiobook at my library. I assume I heard him in an interview on NPR or found his name on a list of prominent books to be released in 2020.

Bakari Sellers in 2018. Photo by Luke Harold.

Sellers has the distinction of being one of the youngest state legislators ever and the youngest African American ever elected to a post in American history. He is from South Carolina, was a member of its legislature for 8 years, is an attorney and is now a commentator for CNN. I am not from South Carolina and I don't have cable or satellite so I had never seen his work on CNN, either. 

My complete unfamiliarity with Sellers made the book a little tedious at times. But, the last quarter of the book is very strong. It was so strong, due to more generalized commentary, that it pulled my score for this book up to 4 stars. 

Sellers read the audiobook himself. I understand the temptation for him to read his own audiobook. After all, his entire career on CNN is based on his ability to speak. He was okay as a reader - neither good nor bad. 

This audiobook can be found on Amazon here: MY VANISHING COUNTRY: A MEMOIR by Bakari Sellers.



Comments

Popular posts over the last 30 days

THE BALLOT and the BIBLE: HOW SCRIPTURE HAS BEEN USED and ABUSED in AMERICAN POLITICS and WHERE WE GO from HERE (audiobook) by Kaitlyn Schiess

BENITO MUSSOLINI: A LIFE from BEGINNING to END (World War 2 Biographies) (kindle) by Hourly History

PRINCESS DIANA: A LIFE from BEGINNING to END(BIOGRAPHIES of BRITISH ROYALTY) (kindle) by Hourly History

WONDER CITY (graphic novel) Written by Victor Fusté. Illustrated by Jared Cullum

LIFE AFTER POWER: SEVEN PRESIDENTS and THEIR SEARCH for PURPOSE BEYOND the WHITE HOUSE (audiobook) by Jared Cohen

THE BREAKER (Peter Ash #6)(audiobook) by Nick Petrie

RESOLUTION (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch #2) (audiobook) by Robert B. Parker

THE PRINCESS, the SCOUNDREL, and the FARM BOY by Alexandra Bracken

IT'S SUPERMAN (audiobook) by Tom De Haven

BLOOD MONEY: A LUCKY DEY THRILLER (audiobook) by Doug Richardson