More than 2100 reviews over the last 25 years.
THE KIDS DON'T STAND a CHANCE: GROWING UP in TEACH for AMERICA by Harris Sockel
Published in 2016 by Audible Studios
Read by Jacob York
Duration: 1 hour, 18 minutes
Unabridged
Harris Sockel graduated from college and was convinced that he should join Teach for America (TFA) by a dedicated recruiter. He wasn't particularly interested in being a teacher before TFA, but he liked the idea of making a difference.
So, he enrolled in their crash course designed to teach a recent college graduate how to be a teacher and, in just a few weeks, he is certified by TFA and heads off to New York City to be a middle school teacher in a charter school. I teach in an urban public school in the Midwest, so I completely understood much of his commentary - the struggle to get papers graded, the struggle to copy papers (apparently an epic struggle in his school) and trying to keep everything moving forward. I particularly enjoyed his discussion of the ubiquitous SWBAT - a fairly new thing in my school.
In the end, Sockel's audiobook left this listener a little confused. Is TFA a good thing or a bad thing? Was it all worth it? Is it good for a school to have a constant turnover in its teachers as the price for working with TFA?
No real answers, but he does offer a interesting description of life in a classroom. Because of that description, I rate this book 4 stars out of 5.
This book can be found on Amazon.com here: THE KIDS DON'T STAND a CHANCE: GROWING UP in TEACH for AMERICA by Harris Sockel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Featured Post
BAN THIS BOOK (audiobook) by Alan Gratz
Published in 2017 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. Read by Bahni Turpin. Duration: 5 hours, 17 minutes. Unabridged. My Synopsis Ban This Book is t...
Popular posts over the last 7 days
-
Originally published in 1975 under the psuedonym Kilgore Trout. I read the 2013 edition published by Titan Books. While suffering a bit of ...
-
Published in 2024 by HarperAudio. Performed by January LaVoy. Duration: 10 hours, 13 minutes. Unabridged. Synopsis Troy, Georgia is, on the ...
-
An excellent beginning to a promising career. Originally published in 1997. First off - The Black Flower is one of the best books I've...
-
Published by Marvel Universe in 2021. Hawkeye: The Saga of Barton and Bishop is actually two collections in one. The first half of the coll...
-
Published by Simon and Schuster Audio in 2006 Read by Ron McClarty Duration: 1 hour, 30 minutes I am not sure who the person was at Simon...
-
Published by Bloomsbury Publishing LLC. Read by Tosca Hoskins. Duration: 11 hours, 26 minutes. Unabridged. The book is a detailed look at ...
-
Published by Dell in 2012. Originally published in in 2007 by Delacorte Press I must live under a rock. I had not read any Jack Reacher n...
-
Published in 2014 by Simon and Schuster Audio Multicast performance, mostly read by the author, Cary Elwes Duration: 7 hours, 1 minute Una...
-
Published in 2020 by Seven Stories Press. Edited by Dan Wakefield. Introduction by Dan Wakefield. Many of the well-known quotes from Kurt ...
-
Originally published in 1971. Audiobook edition published by HighBridge Audio in 2013. Read by Brian Holsopple Duration: 6 hours, 1 min...

No comments:
Post a Comment