More than 2100 reviews over the last 25 years.
FORT SUMTER 1861 by Albert Castel
Originally published in 1976.
Reprinted and sold by Eastern Acorn Press through the National Park Service.
Something like 24 years ago I went with to Gettysburg with a wife and a friend for a weekend trip. On that trip I bought this little book. It sat on my shelf unread for more than 2 decades. No reason for that - I am an insatiable student of the war. I have reviewed 91 books on the subject before this one. But, it sat there unread until now.
Fort Sumter 1861 is a readable and quite thorough history of the events leading up the famous Firing upon Fort Sumter. The best feature of the small book (fifty 8 1/2 x 11 inch pages) is that it doesn't just tell about Fort Sumter in South Carolina, but also about Fort Pickens in Florida. The book details how Sumter was part of a larger policy. Most histories separate the two of them and that is a mistake.
The book also describes the duplicitous actions of Secretary of State William Seward throughout the affair. Seward seriously doubted the abilities of President Lincoln and tried to conduct his own private negotiations with South Carolina to end the crisis. On top of that, he countermanded some of Lincoln's own directives when it came to relieving Fort Sumter.
The expected stuff is included as well - who fired the first shot, when the fort was surrendered and so on. This was a $1.25 well-spent 24 years ago.
I rate this book 5 stars out of 5.
Fort Sumter 1861 can be found on Amazon.com here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Featured Post
BAN THIS BOOK (audiobook) by Alan Gratz
Published in 2017 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. Read by Bahni Turpin. Duration: 5 hours, 17 minutes. Unabridged. My Synopsis Ban This Book is t...
Popular posts over the last 7 days
-
Published by Random House Audio in 2002. Read by Judy Kaye. Duration: 12 hours, 38 minutes. Unabridged. I have bounced through the Kinsey Mi...
-
Originally published in 1975 under the psuedonym Kilgore Trout. I read the 2013 edition published by Titan Books. While suffering a bit of ...
-
Paul Madriani continues fighting terrorists and never enters the courtroom Published by Harper Audio in 2011. Read by Dan Woren. Durati...
-
Published in August of 2026 by Hourly History. Hourly History specializes in producing short histories that they typical person can read in...
-
A wonderful sci-fi trilogy Trilogy originally published in 1967 and 1968. The White Mountains is just the first in a trilogy of sci-fi ad...
-
Neat idea but bad follow through Published in 2006 by Three Rivers Press. I grabbed Crunchy Cons: The New Conservative Counterculture and I...
-
An excellent beginning to a promising career. Originally published in 1997. First off - The Black Flower is one of the best books I've...
-
Published in 2025 by Random House Audio. Read by the author, Bernie Sanders. Duration: 2 hours, 41 minutes. Unabridged. When I picked up thi...
-
The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure by William GoldmanGreat book, great movie, great story no matter the format! Originally published in 1973. The author, William Goldman I wasn't ev...
-
Published by Hourly History in 2025. Hourly History specializes in histories and biographies that take a reader about an hour to read. It s...

No comments:
Post a Comment