Dove and Sword: A Novel of Joan of Arc by Nancy Garden


Joan of Arc (1412-1431)


I am always in a quest to find a sizable number of historical fiction titles to use in my class. I bought this book in the hope of adding it to my classroom collection, and I will do just that. However, I also was hoping to be able to enthusiastically recommend it, as I have been able to do for many other titles. That I cannot do.

I have no problem with the historical details of the book. Rather, I was unimpressed with the writing. It tended to drag and be a bit repetitive. Reluctant readers will be turned off.

I was also expecting more about Joan of Arc. Instead, we are treated to a fictional female friend named Gabrielle who wants to be a midwife and doctor that follows Joan to the battlefield (the Dove, to Joan's sword - thus the title).

So, it joins my collection, but I will only be recommending it to those specifically interested in Joan of Arc, rather than as a general recommendation.

I rate this book 3 stars out of 5.

This book can be found on Amazon.com here: Dove and Sword: A Novel of Joan of Arc.


Reviewed on January 11, 2006.

Comments

Popular posts over the last 30 days

THE BALLOT and the BIBLE: HOW SCRIPTURE HAS BEEN USED and ABUSED in AMERICAN POLITICS and WHERE WE GO from HERE (audiobook) by Kaitlyn Schiess

ILLEGAL (graphic novel) Written by Eoin Colfer and Andrew Donkin. Illustrated by Giovanni Rigano.

INCREDIBLE HULK: PLANET HULK written by Greg Pak, illustrated by Carlo Pagulayan, Aaron Lopresti, Juan Santacruz, Gary Frank, and Takeshi Miyazawa.

BENITO MUSSOLINI: A LIFE from BEGINNING to END (World War 2 Biographies) (kindle) by Hourly History

VANISHING EDGE (National Parks Mysteries #1) (audiobook) by Claire Kells

Appaloosa DVD

THE BREAKER (Peter Ash #6)(audiobook) by Nick Petrie

THE PRINCESS, the SCOUNDREL, and the FARM BOY by Alexandra Bracken

RESOLUTION (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch #2) (audiobook) by Robert B. Parker

BLOOD MONEY: A LUCKY DEY THRILLER (audiobook) by Doug Richardson