People of the Black Circle by Robert E. Howard



Wow - I really disliked this book!

Robert E. Howard (1906-1936)
I had previously read Poul Anderson's take on Conan (Conan the Rebel - posted just below this review) and found it irritating - Conan is overdone and overblown in the extreme. To my disappointment, I found that the original Conan has every feature to his character that I disliked magnified by a factor of 10!

But, to be honest, what has turned me off with both books is both authors' use of language - it is as if they both sat with a thesaurus and looked for the macho words to substitute for the regular ones. That's okay for some scenes but for every single action Conan takes? The phrase that made me put the book down was when Conan "laughed gustily". I did too, and then I put this book down and picked up anything else.

This book can be found on Amazon.com here: People of the Black Circle. Check out what the fans say.

I rate this book 1 star out of 5.

Comments

Popular posts over the last 30 days

THE BALLOT and the BIBLE: HOW SCRIPTURE HAS BEEN USED and ABUSED in AMERICAN POLITICS and WHERE WE GO from HERE (audiobook) by Kaitlyn Schiess

ILLEGAL (graphic novel) Written by Eoin Colfer and Andrew Donkin. Illustrated by Giovanni Rigano.

INCREDIBLE HULK: PLANET HULK written by Greg Pak, illustrated by Carlo Pagulayan, Aaron Lopresti, Juan Santacruz, Gary Frank, and Takeshi Miyazawa.

BENITO MUSSOLINI: A LIFE from BEGINNING to END (World War 2 Biographies) (kindle) by Hourly History

VANISHING EDGE (National Parks Mysteries #1) (audiobook) by Claire Kells

Appaloosa DVD

THE BREAKER (Peter Ash #6)(audiobook) by Nick Petrie

THE PRINCESS, the SCOUNDREL, and the FARM BOY by Alexandra Bracken

RESOLUTION (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch #2) (audiobook) by Robert B. Parker

BLOOD MONEY: A LUCKY DEY THRILLER (audiobook) by Doug Richardson