Patriot Pirates: The Privateer War for Freedom and Fortune in the American Revolution (audiobook) by Robert H. Patton



A tedious listen.

Published by Tantor Audio in 2008.
Duration: 10 hours, 25 minutes.

Read by Alan Sklar.
Unabridged.

I am an avid reader of history. I also enjoy listening to histories as part of my daily commute. I thought Patriot Pirates would be a fantastic diversion since I knew relatively little about the naval history of the Revolutionary War besides the story of Bonhomme Richard and the fact that the Continental Congress authorized the use of privateers.

Unfortunately, Patton's dry, overly wordy text coupled with Alan Sklar's (the narrator) ironic, almost mocking tone made me both both bored and irritated at the same time. If it can be said in 50 words, Patton uses 500. He tells the same stories over and over again. After listening to 5 of 9 discs I refused to force myself to slog through another chapter - partially because it was so poorly narrated, partially because I was becoming a public safety hazard - I was literally nodding off. I listen to CDs to make my drive more interesting but there was nothing there to keep my attention.

Patton freely admits that he is not really a devotee of the Revolutionary War which may have contributed to the dry tone of the book. The battle scenes are described to great effect but the rest of it is just not told in an interesting way. I have no problem with the facts presented, but this book is even less interesting than the history textbooks that this history teacher despises.

I rated this audiobook 1 star out of 5.

This book can be found on Amazon.com here: Patriot Pirates: The Privateer War for Freedom and Fortune in the American Revolution.

Reviewed on April 13, 2010.

Comments

Popular posts over the last 30 days

MARCH: BOOK ONE (graphic novel) by John Lewis and Andrew Aydin

FAHRENHEIT 451 (audiobook) by Ray Bradbury

VANISHING EDGE (National Parks Mysteries #1) (audiobook) by Claire Kells

TIRED of WINNING: DONALD TRUMP and the END of the GRAND OLD PARTY (audiobook) by Jonathan Karl

DARK of the MOON (Virgil Flowers #1)(audiobook)(abridged) by John Sandford

THE JOURNEY in BETWEEN: THRU-HIKING EL CAMINO de SANTIAGO (Thru-Hiking Adventures book 1) (kindle) by Keith Foskett

BASS REEVES: TALES of the TALENTED TENTH, no. 1 by Joel Christian Gill

DIFFER WE MUST: HOW LINCOLN SUCCEEDED in a DIVIDED AMERICA (audiobook) by Steve Inskeep

INCREDIBLE HULK: PLANET HULK written by Greg Pak, illustrated by Carlo Pagulayan, Aaron Lopresti, Juan Santacruz, Gary Frank, and Takeshi Miyazawa.

THE MAGA DIARIES: MY SURREAL ADVENTURES INSIDE THE RIGHT-WING (and HOW I GOT OUT) (audiobook) by Tina Nguyen